At-Home Remedies for Abortion: Safety vs Risks and Alternates
An unwanted pregnancy is a nightmare for every couple, especially the woman. Abortion is forbidden or limited in many places, and women try various home remedies for abortion to manage their condition.
Certain food items and herbs have been considered a remedial method to abort naturally. When faced with situations like an unwanted pregnancy, it is a human tendency to search for quick and natural remedies for abortion. But are they safe and effective? Keep reading this article to learn about the home remedies for abortion and how to abort pregnancy naturally.
Read in Hindi: गर्भपात (गर्भ गिराने) के आसान घरेलु उपाय - सुरक्षा, जोखिम और विकल्प
Natural Remedies for Abortion
There are several home remedies for abortion. It includes vitamins, herbs, and medications. Some reports claim that an overdose of aspirin, sesame seeds, parsley water with lemon, or pineapple juice are considered effective ways to terminate a pregnancy naturally. However, performing a self-induced abortion without medical supervision can be physically risky for a woman. Not only this, but it is also illegal to use these natural abortion methods.
Common Home Remedies for Abortion
A few home remedies for abortion might help induce an abortion. However, one must be careful while trying any abortion home remedies mentioned below as they may have an adverse reaction.
Natural Home Remedies for Abortion Using Food Items
- Unripe papaya: In several countries like India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, etc., unripe papaya is traditionally used as a folk home remedy for abortion and contraception. It is effective when consumed in large amounts. The presence of latex in green papaya produces contractions in the womb, resulting in miscarriage or abortion.
- Parsley: Parsley oil made from the leaves of parsley or seeds has significant concentrations of parsley apiole, a substance that, in big doses, can be poisonous. According to research, parsley apiole poisoning can cause a miscarriage and has severe adverse and fatal effects. Myristicin is a compound found in parsley. Myristicin, like apiole, can induce uterine contractions and might be linked to miscarriage.
- Pineapple: Few studies have revealed that pineapple contains bromelain, a chemical that makes the tissues of the uterus soft and causes uterine contractions, leading to natural abortion.
- Fenugreek seed: Fenugreek seed is a prevalent spice used in several dishes in India to enhance flavour and aroma. It contains saponin, a chemical which works similarly to the oxytocin hormone. It may cause uterine contraction, and that's how it induces natural abortion.
- Bitter gourd (Karela): Bitter gourd is a ubiquitous vegetable used in India for several potential health benefits. Some people believe that if consumed excessively, karela can cause womb contractions leading to abortion.
- Sesame seeds: When consumed in excess, they can be harmful as they cause uterus contractions and can cause natural abortion. These are considered dangerous in the first trimester.
- Eggplant: Eggplant is considered unsafe for pregnancy if consumed excessively. It contains phytohormones that can produce a miscarriage. Thus, it may be a helpful natural remedy for abortion.
- Aloe vera: Aloe vera, when consumed orally, is believed to be harmful. It causes bleeding from the womb and uterine contraction, resulting in natural abortion.
- Cheese: Some types of cheese, such as camembert, brie, chevre, gorgonzola, and Danish blue, are made with a mould, i.e. fungus, and may contain listeria (a type of bacteria) that may lead to abortion. The chances of miscarriage are less and happen if soft-ripened or unpasteurised products containing listeria are consumed.
- Caffeine: It is found in several beverages, such as coffee, some energy drinks and soft drinks. Consuming too much caffeine (more than 200mg/day) can increase the risk of miscarriage.
Herbs for Abortion at Home
Herbal abortion using herbs can cause bleeding and uterine contractions. It is a self-induced abortion method that needs large quantities of specific herbs. Most of these herbs are infused as tea and consumed. These herbs include:
- Pennyroyal: A woman's uterine lining contracts due to chemicals present in the pennyroyal plant, resulting in loss of uterine lining. Pennyroyal tea can trigger early menstruation.
- Mugwort: Mugwort provides several health advantages. But a woman must avoid using mugwort if she is pregnant because it can make her uterus contract or start her period. Given the lack of current data on its safety, those who are breastfeeding should likewise avoid it.
- Black cohosh root: It is consumed as a tea to induce early labour in the first trimester. This root is popularly known as a herbal oestrogen.
- Tansy: Tansy contains a toxic substance, thujone, that can induce abortion naturally. It is not safe to consume while breastfeeding.
- Goldenseal: According to research conducted on animals, one of the vital active ingredients in goldenseal, berberine, has been related to lower weight in both mothers and infants. Berberine may contract the uterus, which can cause natural abortion.
- Coleus: It has been reported that consuming coleus can cause natural abortion. It interferes with embryo implantation and causes vaginal bleeding during early pregnancy.
- Eucalyptus: Essential oil containing eucalyptus has been linked to causing a natural abortion in early pregnancy as it is high in ketones.
- Yarrow: Yarrow is probably risky for pregnant women. It might result in miscarriage and impact the menstrual cycle due to the compound that contracts the uterus.
- Safflower: Safflower should not be consumed if pregnant since it contains compounds that may thin the blood to prevent clots and promote early menstruation. Abortion may occur spontaneously.
Women who use these herbs during pregnancy can risk poisoning, resulting in kidney and liver damage, tissue damage, internal bleeding, and even death. They are frequently ineffective, and individuals might not realise this until it is too late for an abortion in a clinic. Herbs might be hazardous when used to end a pregnancy. For instance, liver failure might result from taking too much pennyroyal and mugwort.
Exercise and Sports that Cause Natural Abortion
Not only food but lifestyle can also contribute to abortion naturally. For example:
High-intensity sports: Physical activities are considered good, but some sports can cause miscarriage. Sports that involve too much jumping or bouncing or that make you work very hard may induce abortion naturally.
Disclaimer: You must meet your doctor and discuss ways to abort pregnancy naturally. Depending on your situation, your doctor will suggest appropriate methods. However, using these home remedies for abortion without a doctor’s advice may lead to complications. Therefore, never self-medicate and always talk to an expert.
Forceful Methods to Terminate a Pregnancy
Women also use forceful methods to terminate a pregnancy. These methods not only induce early abortion but are risky and can be dangerous. It can also cause complications in future pregnancies.
- Over-the-Counter Medication: Although aspirin is typically used to treat pain, it also initiates the menstrual cycle. Women consume 4 to 10 aspirin tablets with water to induce an abortion. Overdose on these medications can harm the gastrointestinal tract.
- Alcohol and Narcotic Drugs: Often, women consume alcohol and other drugs to abort the baby. Other home remedies for abortion include consuming alcohol and drugs in large quantities. The side effects of overconsumption are spontaneous miscarriage.
- Physical Force: Punching vigorously in the stomach can cause an abortion. This method must never be used, and one must always consult a doctor to terminate a pregnancy safely.
Safety and Effectiveness of Home Remedies for Abortion
Safety: Home remedies for abortion are never safe, whether it involves herbs, supplements, self-injury or drugs. They can cause more harm than good. It can cause innumerable side effects and can also cause problems in future pregnancies. These home remedies for abortion must be avoided as there is no guarantee that it can terminate the foetus.
Effectiveness: The natural remedies for abortion are not effective. According to the WHO, around 4.7 to 13.2% of women die yearly because of unsafe abortion methods, and about 7 million women develop complications (toxicity due to overconsumption, severe infection due to incomplete abortion etc). It is possible to prevent these mishaps by spreading awareness regarding sex education, accessing safe abortion, and family planning. Therefore, It is always advisable to talk to your gynaecologist before self-medicating or using any of these home remedies for abortion.
Risks Involved in Using Home Remedies for abortion
Several risks are involved if a woman opts for abortion home remedies without consulting their doctor. Some of the complications are:
- Incomplete Abortion: An incomplete abortion is an abortion where the pregnancy is over, but some foetal tissue is still present in the womb/uterus of the woman. It can be fatal for the woman as it can cause heavy bleeding and infection.
- Haemorrhage: When self-induced abortion is performed, it can have significant blood loss. It can be life-threatening if not treated in time.
- Toxicity: Overconsumption of any food item that induces abortion naturally can cause toxicity resulting in liver damage or organ failure.
Safe Alternatives for Abortion
The pregnancy can be terminated safely and legally. Instead of opting for any natural remedies for abortion, women can either go for medical or surgical abortion based on their gestational age.
- Medical Termination of Pregnancy: This method of abortion is a safer alternative to home remedies and is for women who are pregnant for 12 weeks or lesser. It has a success rate of up to 99% for early termination of pregnancy and does not affect future pregnancies. The doctor will prescribe two medicines (mifepristone and misoprostol), which would cause hormonal changes resulting in abortion.
- Surgical Abortion: This method of abortion is recommended for women up to 24 weeks pregnant. The doctor performs a surgical abortion and removes the developing baby using suction or dilatation and curettage (D&C). It is typically used if medical abortion fails or if the pregnancy is too advanced.
Herbs and tea are used as home treatments for abortion that have adverse effects, such as poisoning and life-threatening issues. Instead, one who wants to terminate a pregnancy should use legal abortion procedures. These might include a medical abortion or a surgical abortion carried out by a licenced medical practitioner. One should seek immediate medical assistance if one encounters any significant side effects from an abortion or from utilising an abortion home remedy, such as excessive bleeding, fever, or other unsettling symptoms.
If you have any queries regarding these home remedies for abortion, you can freely contact our care assistant team at HexaHealth. They will solve all your worries. You can also visit our HexaHealth website to learn more about abortion, its methods, etc.