Home Remedies for Abortion Naturally - Is It Safe?
Home Remedies for abortion have been done using traditional methods like eating food items that can induce abortion naturally for a long time. Many people try to self-manage an abortion with a home remedy because abortion is forbidden or limited where they reside.
An unwanted pregnancy is a nightmare for every couple, especially the woman. A couple fears meeting their gynaecologist and always wonder if there are any natural or home remedies for abortion. It is a human tendency to search for quick and easy home remedies for any medical condition that saves a visit to the doctor. But are they safe and effective?
What is abortion?
Abortion, also called Medical Termination of Pregnancy, is the process of ending an unwanted pregnancy. Many women want to do an abortion using natural home remedies. However, it is essential to know that abortion is a medical procedure, and a medical professional must perform it to ensure the safety of the mother. However, there are some natural methods to abort an unwanted pregnancy.
Are there any natural home remedies for abortion?
There are a few home remedies that might help induce abortion. However, these should be used highly cautiously for fear of unexpected side effects:
Foods inducing abortion:
- Unripe papaya: In several countries like India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, etc., unripe papaya is traditionally used as a folk remedy for abortion and contraception. It is effective when consumed in large amounts. The presence of latex in green papaya produces contractions in the womb, resulting in miscarriage or abortion.
- Pineapple: Few studies have revealed that pineapple contains bromelain, a chemical that makes the tissues of the uterus soft and causes uterine contractions, leading to an abortion.
- Fenugreek seed: Fenugreek seed is a prevalent spice used in several dishes in India to enhance flavour and aroma. It contains saponin, a chemical which works similar to the oxytocin hormone. It may cause uterine contraction, and that’s how it induces abortion.
- Bitter gourd (Karela): Bitter gourd is a ubiquitous vegetable used in India for several potential health benefits. Some people believe that if consumed excessively, karela can cause womb contractions leading to abortion.
- Sesame seeds: When consumed in excess, they can be harmful as they cause uterus contractions and can cause abortion. These are considered harmful in the first trimester.
- Eggplant: Eggplant (in excess) is believed to be unsafe for pregnancy. It contains phytohormones that can produce a miscarriage. Thus, it may be a helpful natural remedy to induce abortion.
- Aloe vera: Aloe vera, when consumed orally, is believed to be harmful. It causes bleeding from the womb and uterine contraction, resulting in abortion.
- Cheese: Some types of cheese, such as camembert, brie, chevre, gorgonzola, and Danish blue, are made with a mould, i.e. fungus, and may contain listeria (a type of bacteria) that may lead to abortion. The chances of miscarriage are less and happen if soft-ripened or unpasteurised products containing listeria are consumed.
- Caffeine: Caffeine is found in several foods such as coffee, tea, and some energy drinks and soft drinks. Consuming too much caffeine (more than 200mg/day) can increase the risk of miscarriage.
- High-intensity sports: Physical activity are considered good, but some sport can cause miscarriage. Sports that involve too much jumping or bouncing, or that make you work very hard may induce abortion.
Disclaimer: You must meet your doctor and discuss different ways to end an unwanted pregnancy. Depending on your situation, your doctor will suggest appropriate methods. However, using these remedies without a doctor’s advice may lead to complications. Therefore, never self-medicate and always talk to an expert.
Are there any risks involved in using home remedies for abortion?
Several risks are involved if a woman opts for home remedies without consulting their doctor. Some of the complications are:
- An incomplete abortion can lead to severe infection, blood loss, or death
- Haemorrhaging (significant blood loss)
- Overconsumption of any food item causes toxicity resulting in liver damage or liver failure
Are there any safe abortion methods?
There are two methods to end a pregnancy legally and safely, which include medical and surgical abortion.
- Medical abortion: This method of abortion is a safer alternative to home remedies and is for women who are pregnant for 12 weeks or lesser. It has a success rate of up to 99% for early termination of pregnancy and does not affect future pregnancies. The doctor will prescribe two medicines (mifepristone and misoprostol), which would cause hormonal changes resulting in abortion.
- Surgical abortion: This method of abortion is recommended for women up to 24 weeks pregnant. The doctor performs a surgical abortion and removes the developing baby using suction or curet (sharp tool). It is typically used if medical abortion fails or if the pregnancy is too advanced.
There are different options that you can opt for abortion, such as medical or surgical abortion, but the process must be carried out under a doctor’s supervision. Abortion is legal in India, and you do not need anyone’s consent before ending a pregnancy. You are responsible for your healthy body, therefore think twice before using such home remedies, as everybody is different and you don’t know how things might turn out. Always consult your doctor for anything related to abortion.
If you have any queries, you can freely contact our personal care assistant team; they will solve all your worries. You can also visit our HexaHealth website to learn more about abortion, its methods, etc.