Laser for Acne
10 Minutes------ To ------
Rs 15000------ To ------
Book Appointment for Laser for Acne
What is Laser for Acne?
Acne can cause lasting scars, which can further lead to psychological distress, and reduced self-esteem. The laser treatment provides an option for individuals to minimise the presence of scars from old acne breakouts and ease the pain caused by the acne. This procedure is also referred to as laser resurfacing.
What are the Benefits of Laser for Acne?
The benefits of performing laser resurfacing procedure are as follows:
- To treat the marks caused by acne, which is primarily a hormonal disorder caused by androgen hormones, that peaks in activity between adolescence and early adulthood.
- Relief from itchiness or pain caused by the acne scars
- It helps in regaining the confidence of individuals.
Who needs Laser for Acne?
The following are the candidates that are suitable for the laser resurfacing procedure:
- Very evident visible acne scars.
- People who feel underconfident due to the breakouts
- Itchy or painful acne scars.
What may happen if the Laser for Acne is delayed?
The condition of acne is not very severe or life-threatening; however, untreated acne might leave lifelong scars that could be embarrassing and might also cause some psychological distress for some individuals. Therefore, timely treatment can minimise the scars and help those individuals live life more confidently.
How is Laser for Acne Performed?
- The scar present on the skin is initially treated with the heat from the laser that eradicates the top layer of the skin. As the top layer of your scar peels away, your skin becomes smoother, and the scar becomes less visible.
- As the scar tissue breaks down, the heat from the laser and light induces the growth of new, healthy skin cells. In addition, the heat from the laser draws blood to the area, and blood vessels in the scar are targeted, which reduces inflammation.
- This works together to make scars appear smaller and less elevated and red.
- Erbium YAG lasers, carbon dioxide (CO2) lasers, and pulsed-dye lasers are commonly utilised for acne scars. Each of these devices is designed to target the specific type of scarring you have.
There are different types of laser treatment available such as:
- Ablative laser resurfacing: An erbium YAG or carbon dioxide CO2 laser is used for ablative resurfacing. This laser therapy aims to remove the entire top layer of your skin from the scarred area. The redness caused by ablative lasers might last anywhere from 3 to 10 days.
- Non-ablative laser resurfacing: Infrared lasers are used in this type of acne scar therapy. These lasers use heat to stimulate collagen formation and promote cell regeneration to replace damaged, scarred tissue. This process does not involve the removal of the top layer of the skin.
- Fractional laser resurfacing: Fractional lasers (Fraxel) stimulate the tissue behind your scar, removing darkly pigmented cells beneath the top layer of skin. This type of laser can help scars like boxcars and ice picks.
- Hybrid fractional laser resurfacing: This procedure involves fractionated non-ablative as well as ablative skin resurfacing simultaneously.
What to Expect Before the Laser for Acne?
Before the procedure, your doctor will give you a brief review of the process.
The doctor will also advise you to:
- Avoid any blood-thinning medicine two weeks before the procedure
- Avoid smoking
- Avoid any retinol-based skin care product
- Discontinue medications related to acne
- Have a preventive antibiotic in case you're prone to cold sores
What to Expect During the Laser for Acne?
- The doctor might perform the laser resurfacing is an outpatient procedure.
- The healthcare staff numbs either only the site of treatment or the entire face depending upon the case.
- A powerful beam of laser is aimed at your skin during ablative laser resurfacing. The outer layer i.e., the epidermis is destroyed by the laser beam.
- At the same time, the laser warms the underlying skin i.e., the dermis, stimulating collagen formation and improving skin tone and texture over time.
- Depending on the technology utilised and the extent of the region treated, ablative laser resurfacing can take anywhere from 30 minutes to two hours.
- This method normally only requires one treatment.
- While if you're having non-ablative laser treatment or fractional Er: YAG laser resurfacing, you'll probably require one to three treatments spread out over weeks or months to see the desired results.
What is Recovery and Post Op. Care After Laser for Acne?
- The procedure results are long-lasting; however, they cannot be seen immediately. It takes approximately a week to minimise the appearance of scars.
- The amount of time it takes to heal and recover following laser treatment is determined by the size and depth of the treated area.
- In the weeks and months following laser therapy, you'll need to be extra careful with your skin maintenance. Because your skin will be more prone to UV damage, using sunscreen before leaving the house is essential.
- After the procedure, your doctor will advise you few measures to be followed:
- For the next 6 to 8 weeks, avoid tanning or other activities that expose you to many suns.
- Addition of specific toner or moisturiser that maximises the effect of the therapy.
- Keep the treated area clean.
- Avoid wearing makeup for a week or more
A few side effects of this procedure include:
- Itching, swelling
- Change in skin colour
- Skin irritation
First-follow up appointment
Your doctor might ask you for a follow-up appointment to check for any signs of infections or other problems.
What are Risks and Complications of Laser for Acne?
Risks and complications:
There are a few risks associated with the laser resurfacing procedure and the effect depends upon factors such as your skin type, the procedure used and the number of treatments you require.
- Pain at the treated site
You should consult your doctor if you experience:
- Any persistent side effects such as itching, swelling or redness after the procedure.
- Any allergy to some prescribed medication
- Sudden pain
Updated on : 19 October 2022
HexaHealth Care Team
HexaHealth Care Team brings you medical content covering many important conditions, procedures falling under different medical specialities. The content published is thoroughly reviewed by our panel of qualified doctors for its accuracy and relevance.
16 years experience Experience
20 years experience Experience
NABH Accredited Hospitals
Lokmanya Tilak Rd
Excellence in in null
B-41/7, Royal Plaza Market market opp. Badi masjid Nithari
Excellence in in Plastic Surgery
Book Appointment for Laser for Acne
Latest Health Articles
Download HexaHealth App
Get free consultation with our expert doctors, store all your health records at one place and get real time updates of appointments, consultations & surgery.