Hymenoplasty is a surgical procedure performed to reconstruct a broken hymen. It is performed under local or general anaesthesia.
The main aim of this procedure is to cause bleeding when the woman has sexual intercourse after the surgery. Hymenoplasty is a fairly common procedure usually undergone by women to prove their virginity.
Due to this, hymenoplasty surgery is often referred to as a cosmetic procedure.
Torn/broken hymen, Hymen with a complicated structure, Muscle tightening
Benefits of the Surgery
|Restores and Rejuvenates the Hymen, Cost Effective, Minimally Invasive, Quick Recovery Periods|
Book Appointment for for Hymenoplasty Surgery
What is Hymenoplasty?
Hymenoplasty Surgery refers to the reconstruction of a broken hymen. It is usually done by joining the two free ends of the broken hymen and stitching them together with the help of dissolvable stitches. It can also be done by excising a thin layer of tissue from the wall of the vagina and placing it over the torn hymen.
A gynaecologist usually performs a hymenoplasty. The goal of doing this surgery is to ensure that the woman bleeds when she has sexual intercourse after hymen repair surgery.
Anatomy and Physiology of the Hymen
- The hymen is a layer of pink soft tissue at the vaginal opening. It is a part of the vulva. The hymen partially covers the vaginal opening so that the menstrual blood and other secretions pass easily.
- The exact function of the hymen is unknown. However, in young girls, it is believed that the hymen's function is to protect the vaginal opening from the entry of various harmful microorganisms until puberty.
- When a girl reaches puberty and gets her first period, the hymen develops a small opening (more like a rupture) through which the blood passes from the vagina to the outside. However, this is not an ideal scenario.
- One may get their periods and still have an intact hymen without any perforations. Similarly, the hymen usually ruptures during sexual intercourse due to penetration. But, in some women, the hymen may remain intact.
Conditions treated with Hymenoplasty
Hymenoplasty is commonly performed due to some religious, cultural or psychological beliefs. However, this procedure also helps treat the following condition.
- Torn/broken hymen
- Hymen with a complicated structure
- Muscle tightening
Who needs Hymenoplasty?
Hymenoplasty is generally performed for cosmetic purposes. However, hymenoplasty is preferred due to certain religious customs and beliefs. The eligible candidate for hymenoplasty needs to be:
- A patient who is over the consensual age
- A patient who is a non-smoker
- A patient who is healthy and not suffering from any serious illness or conditions like cancer or sexually transmitted diseases.
How is Hymenoplasty performed?
Hymenoplasty takes about 15-30 minutes and is usually performed under local or general anaesthesia.
Three main procedures are performed to restore the broken hymen. These are:
- Hymen stitching
- Hymen Reconstruction
- Alloplant technique
Basic steps to perform Hymenoplasty:
- The patient is made to lie in the lithotomy position.
- The heart rate, pulse, blood pressure, and oxygen saturation are monitored throughout the procedure.
- The doctor administers local or general anaesthesia before the operation.
Further steps depending upon the procedure:
In Hymen stitching:
- The torn hymen tissues are approximated and joined together with the help of self-dissolvable hymenoplasty stitches.
- If the hymenoplasty surgery is successful, the doctor shall discharge the patient within a few hours after the procedure.
- The patient does not need to return to the doctor's clinic to get the sutures removed.
In Hymen reconstruction:
- Here, the hymen does not have enough tissue to be stitched together.
- Therefore the doctor takes a graft from elsewhere in the body and stitches it with the remnants of the broken hymen.
In Alloplant technique:
- This procedure is done if the above two methods fail.
- Alloplant refers to biochemically synthesised grafts that can be used to do hymenoplasty.
- The doctor will choose the correct method depending on the condition of the patient's hymen.
What to expect before and on the day of the Hymenoplasty?
Irrespective of the method chosen, the basic steps for the procedure remain essentially the same. The doctor shall prepare the patient before and on the day of the hymenoplasty. Here's how:
- The patient is properly evaluated and chosen by the doctor to undergo the hymen repair surgery.
- There's usually a gap of around two weeks between consultations in which the doctor will thoroughly assess the patient's condition and plan for the surgery. This period is also known as the reflection period.
- The doctor will advise the patient to stop working two to three days before the date of surgery.
- The doctor will ask the patient about any medications she is currently taking. Medications that promote bleeding will be restricted by the doctor till the surgery is done to avoid any risk of bleeding during the procedure.
- The patient should be a non-smoker and should stop smoking well in advance before the procedure.
- The doctor will ensure that the patient is not suffering from sexually transmitted diseases or vaginal cancer by taking a thorough history and examination.
- The patient will be made to sign an informed consent and other formalities before the procedure.
On the day of Hymenoplasty
- The patient must report for the procedure at a scheduled time on the day of the hymen repair surgery.
- The patient will be taken to the treatment room, where the procedure will be performed.
- The patient shall be asked to change into a gown to prepare for the procedure.
- An IV line will be established to ensure the infusion of saline and anaesthetic medications.
- Antibiotics will be administered to prevent infection.
What to expect after Hymenoplasty?
The Recovery Process in Hospital
- The doctor moves the patient to the recovery room to keep her under observation, where the vitals and effects of anaesthesia will be monitored.
- The patient is usually discharged on the same day if there are no hymenoplasty side effects or complications.
- The patient is prescribed painkillers and antibiotics and discharged home with instructions for care after the hymenoplasty.
Recovery process/expectation after hospital discharge
- The patient may resume work 3-4 days after the procedure or as directed by the doctor.
- Take adequate rest to ensure fast healing and recovery.
- There's no need to visit the doctor to remove the hymenoplasty stitches since they dissolve within one to two months.
Care after Hymenoplasty
- Avoid taking showers for 2-3 days after the procedure or as directed by the gynaecologist. Follow the doctor's recommendations and guidelines while taking a shower after a hymenoplasty.
- Take medications as prescribed by the gynaecologist to minimise hymenoplasty side effects and ensure a speedy recovery.
- Switch to using pads instead of tampons when on periods.
- Refrain from sexual activities till six to eight weeks after hymenoplasty.
- Maintain proper hygiene of the vaginal area. Wash it with mild soap and water to avoid the risk of infections. Keep it clean always by wiping it gently with a clean piece of cloth once or twice a day. Don't clean the inside of the vagina until the hymenoplasty stitches are dissolved and healed.
- Avoid doing heavy exercises or lifting weights for up to 2-3 weeks or as long as the doctor suggests.
- Follow a healthy diet that is rich in fruits and vegetables. Avoid oily and spicy foods.
- Avoid smoking or drinking till the hymen is completely healed, as it may interfere with the healing process.
- Use heat packs or ice compression to relieve pain or swelling after the procedure.
The First Follow-up Appointment
- The patient is expected to come for a follow-up as and when the doctor suggests, usually after a month or two.
- During the follow-up visit, the doctor checks if the wound has healed.
- The doctor may also ask about any discomfort experienced during the first sexual intercourse after the hymen repair surgery.
- If the patient gets an infection during recovery, the doctor will prescribe certain antibiotics and painkillers to treat them.
Benefits of Hymenoplasty
These are the benefits of hymen repair surgery:
- Hymenoplasty is safe as it has minimal side effects.
- It may indicate virginity as it causes bleeding after hymenoplasty.
- It is effective.
- It is cost-effective.
- Recovery is excellent and quick.
- The patient is discharged the same day and may return to work the next day.
- Low risk of postoperative complications.
Risks and complications of Hymenoplasty
Hymenoplasty is a safe procedure, and its side effects carry minimal risk and are pretty rare.
Hymenoplasty side effects are as follows:
- Bruises or scarring
- Skin discolouration (very rare)
It may also cause certain complications, which is, again, very rare considering the safety and efficacy of the procedure. Complications of hymenoplasty include:
- Haemorrhage (bleeding from ruptured blood vessels)
- Haematoma (accumulation of blood between tissues)
- Pain during sexual intercourse, also known as dyspareunia
- Infections of the genital tract
One should consult a doctor when experiencing pain, bleeding or itching in the genital region after one to two months of hymenoplasty surgery.
Cost of Hymenoplasty
The cost of Hymenoplasty in India depends upon various factors such as the hospital charges, the doctor's fees based on the experience, anaesthesia (local or general), etc. It ranges anywhere between ₹17,000 to ₹40,000.
Hymenoplasty is a safe procedure that, when performed by well-trained and experienced doctors, involves little to no risks and side effects. Our team of experts at Hexahealth can help you get a successful hymenoplasty surgery at the correct cost. Contact us right now to avail a free consultation call!
|Condition Name||Cost Value|
|Hymenoplasty||₹17,000 to ₹40,000|
Frequently Asked Questions on Hymenoplasty Surgery
What are some Myths and Facts about Hymenoplasty?
- Myth: Hymenoplasty is a costly procedure.
Fact: Hymenoplasty does not cost a fortune compared to other medical procedures. It costs anywhere between INR 17,000 to INR 40,000. To get the best treatment at an affordable price, look no further than Hexahealth.
- Myth: Hymenoplasty will make my menstrual cycle irregular.
Fact: No, hymenoplasty has nothing to do with the regularity of your menstrual cycle. Your menstrual cycle is governed by hormones and thus has nothing to do with the hymenoplasty surgery.
- Myth: Your sexual sensations might be affected after hymenoplasty.
Fact: Untrue. Hymenoplasty does not affect your nervous system in any way. Sexual sensations are felt due to the nervous system (nerves and the brain). Hence, your sexual sensations were just as they were before the procedure.
- Myth: Hymenoplasty surgery can be performed in any age group.
Fact: False. Hymenoplasty surgery cannot be performed in women under 18 years of age without the consent of parents or guardians.
- Myth: Hymenoplasty has a lot of side effects.
Fact: Hymenoplasty is a safe procedure with minimal to no side effects. It is usually performed within an hour, and the patient is discharged on the same day.
- Myth: You will become a virgin after hymenoplasty.
Fact: Virginity is a societal construct and is not dependent upon the intactness of the hymen. However, due to religion and customs, some people believe that hymenoplasty restores virginity.
- Myth: Hymenoplasty is a painful procedure.
Fact: Hymenoplasty is performed under local or general anaesthesia; hence, one may not experience any pain during the procedure. One may experience postoperative pain or swelling, but these symptoms are usually mild and go away in a few days.
- Myth: You cannot use a tampon after hymenoplasty.
Fact: This is a false claim. Anyone can use a tampon after the hymenoplasty. However, ensure that you are not using it while you are recovering.
- Myth: You cannot masturbate after hymenoplasty.
Fact: Hymenoplasty is just a procedure that brings back your old hymen, the one you had before menarche (onset of your periods). So it's perfectly alright to masturbate after you've successfully recovered from the hymenoplasty surgery.
- Myth: You cannot wear tight clothes after hymenoplasty.
Fact: This is a popular misconception that women who have undergone hymenoplasty possess. It is alright to wear tight clothes once you have successfully recovered from hymenoplasty surgery.
Does hymenoplasty make you tighter?
Yes, hymenoplasty may make you tighter. This can be attributed to the approximation of the vaginal wall while stitching the torn flaps of the hymen together.
Is hymenoplasty surgery safe?
Yes, hymenoplasty surgery is safe and effective. It has minimal risk of side effects and complications and has a fast recovery time. You will be discharged on the same day and can resume your work from the next day itself.
What happens if a girl breaks her hymen?
If a girl breaks her hymen, she might notice bleeding through the vagina. Some girls may not notice bleeding since the hymen is an elastic tissue and won't necessarily bleed after being broken. One can get hymen repair surgery done to restore the intact hymen due to their cultural or religious beliefs.
How do you clean your vagina after a hymenoplasty?
Cleaning your vagina gently with a wet cloth. You can use mild soap with water to clean the outer area of the vagina. Avoid using any soap with harsh chemicals. Do not clean the inside of the vagina until the sutures are healed.
What is the Colour of the hymen?
The hymen is pinkish in colour due to the rich blood supply. If you notice any abnormal colour changes in your hymen, you must get it checked right away. Connect with our excellent team of gynaecologists here to get the proper diagnosis and treatment for your condition.
Is hymenoplasty surgery painful?
No, hymenoplasty surgery is usually not painful. One may experience mild discomfort during recovery for up to a week; however, it is quite rare.
Can the hymen be seen with eyes?
Yes, you can try to see the hymen with the naked eye. You may need to stand or sit in front of the mirror and spread the vaginal lips (labia majora and labia minora) with your fingers to be able to see them. It is pinkish. If your hymen is broken, you won't be able to see it.
How long does hymenoplasty take to heal?
Can you walk after a hymenoplasty?
You can walk after hymenoplasty; however, it is recommended that you don't. You must rest well after your procedure to ensure speedy recovery from the pain and swelling due to hymenoplasty stitches. Avoid heavy physical activities or exercises till 2 to 3 weeks after the procedure.
How much does a hymen repair cost?
The cost of hymen repair surgery ranges from INR 17,000 to INR 40,000. The cost depends upon various factors such as hospital charges, doctor's fees, etc. Are you planning to get a hymen repair surgery done? Reach out to us to get the best hospital recommendation for your surgery!
Is there any side effects of hymenoplasty?
Side effects of hymenoplasty are quite mild and infrequent. They include:
What should be avoided after hymenoplasty?
Things to avoid after hymenoplasty:
- Avoid taking showers for 2-3 days after the procedure.
- Switch to using pads instead of tampons when on periods.
- Refrain from sexual activities till six to eight weeks after hymenoplasty.
- Don't clean the inside of the vagina until the hymenoplasty stitches are dissolved and healed.
- Avoid doing heavy exercises or lifting weights for up to 2-3 weeks or for as long as the doctor suggests.
- Avoid oily and spicy foods.
- Avoid smoking or drinking till the hymen is completely healed.
Can I sit down after the hymenoplasty?
Yes, you can sit down after hymenoplasty if you don't experience any pain in the vaginal area. Usually, the pain is mild and does not cause interference with day-to-day activities such as sitting.
Does hymenoplasty bleed after?
Hymenoplasty bleeds if you have sexual intercourse after successfully recovering from the procedure. Talk to a doctor immediately if you notice any bleeding while recovering from the hymenoplasty.
Is hymenoplasty permanent?
Can hymenoplasty be detected?
Does hymenoplasty restore virginity?
Hymenoplasty does not restore virginity, but it is believed to do so as it repairs the broken hymen with the help of stitches.
How long does hymenoplasty last?
Hymenoplasty lasts till the time the woman has sexual intercourse. Once the woman has penetrative sex, the hymen will most likely rupture, resulting in bleeding.
How do you know if you have a hymenoplasty?
Hymenoplasty is a procedure that repairs a broken hymen. You will know that you have a hymenoplasty by looking at the hymen through the vaginal opening in front of the mirror.
Does hymenoplasty affect pregnancy?
No, hymenoplasty does not affect pregnancy. It is just restoration of the broken hymen and has nothing to do with pregnancy.